This week’s podcast is about alliterations…
Just kidding (sort of)…
One of the biggest concerns I had about going to Italy was pickpockets and thieves. I had heard a lot about them and even a close family member had almost had his wallet stolen at the Colleseum.
I wanted to figure out how to prevent pickpocketing because I heard that it happened a lot there.
Listen to this weeks Travel Better Podcast to find out how to make a secret pocket and protect yourself from thieves when traveling.
Here are some pictures from my makeshift homemade secret security pockets (sorry the trousers are so messy – they were fresh out of the washer so the dryer hadn’t yet pulled the lint off, and taking pictures was really an afterthought for this post.)
You did not specify a price in the shortcode
Helpful Items When Making a Secret Pocket:
Sewing Needle & Thread
SOME IDEAS FOR SECRET POCKETS:
1. Inside the pants, shirt, vest – sew the bottom and sides of the pockets, then use Iron-On Velcro to seal the top of the homemade pocket with velcro
2. Outside but in pocket with velcro – use Iron-On Velcro to seal the top
3. Wrist band – if you have a money wristband that seals with velcro, you can attach that to the velcro in the pant leg pocket on the cargo pants
4. Bra – snip the inside layer of lace to create pocket out of the inside lace and outside lace or use the pockets in the cup of a padded bra and velcro the pocket closed.
5. Tiny cloth change purse safety pinned to inside of clothes
6. Tiny cloth change purse safety pinned inside of one of the outside pockets
7. Money in shoe or sock
8. Use safe in hotel
9. Makeshift safe: your locked suitcase
The nice thing about these homemade secret pockets is that if they break or come apart you can usually repair them on the road. You can find an iron in most hotels, and the sewing kit is often be provided by most hotels or can be easily purchased in a drug store. You just need to be sure to bring enough velcro, which is fairly portable.
I give instructions in my podcast, though it is fairly easy to garner the construction from my pictures.
Leslie Lello aka Ramblin Gal
FOLLOW THE PODCASTS… THEY WILL LEAD YOU TO YUMMY DESTINATIONS…
Free Download of all of the Travel Better Podcasts at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firewalk-productions/id661796394
Find Out About New Shows as Soon as They Come Out: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TravelBetter
Podcast: Play in new window | Download